Thankfully they knew better and asked me to get some images from the internet. After searching for some pics on Wikipedia I came up with this one
So this week I decided to work on it some more and I came up with this
using a grid. Let me explain. The normal slide is 1024 pixels wide and 768 pixels high. This give a ratio of 4:3. A natural grid is this one
- First, I downloaded the images in its full resolution. The original size of the CD ROM is 3072 by 1084. I strongly recommend you work with full resolution images and size down later.
- Now, open the image in GIMP. One way to view the image's size is by pressing Alt+Return to open the Image Properties dialog box.
- Next, select the crop tool by clicking on the knife icon, or by pressing Shift+C. You should now see the crop options window. If not go to the Windows menu > Dockable dialogs > Tool options to make it visible.
- Once you have the crop tools visible, active the Fixed checkbox by click on it and select Aspect Ratio in the dropdown menu. Select the ratio that you want, in this case 3:1.
- Finally, click and drag to select the part of the image you want to crop. By default GIMP will highlight the selection. If not, active the Highlight checkbox. Optionally, you can turn on the guides from the dropdown menu below. When you satisfy with your selection click inside the selection to crop.